RECENT CLASSES IN HONG KONG
1. RESEARCH AND ANALYSIS FOR DESIGN (SD5018)
This is a class I’ve been giving at the Hong Kong Polytechnic University. It roughly follows a loose design process, starting with a research phase, which is followed by concept creation and finally a design phase. All these are taught as phases that define the design space in a stepwise manner. The following videos explain the class. The first is about 1:22, the second 1:58, and the third 1:50, out of which about 50 seconds are credits.
Research and Analysis for Design, 2014 (video 1/3): Introduction to Research
Research and Analysis for Design, 2014 (video 2/3): From sketching to concepts
Research and Analysis for Design, 2014 (video 3/3): Final concepts and conclusions
2. CAPSTONE RESEARCH (SD5407)
I’ve given a Capstone Research class for product design students (well, they come from several disciplines, not just product). The class aims at writing a design brief and it takes about 4 weeks.
- the first two weeks are for exploring possibly topics. Research aims to clarify the mind
- interim presentation
- after this, the students get one week for doing: a category review, target audience analysis, and business objective/design strategy
After the final presentation, the students have to write a design brief for their supervisors; and create a detailed and realistic plan for the capstone in the form of a contract.
They also get an extra lecture on IP, and a quick overview of contracts.
3. INSTRUCTIONS FOR PLAN PRESENTATIONS